Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wardrobe Refashion

I have become increasingly intrigued by upcycling clothing recently. It all started with the adorable dresses I bought from Ashley at Lil Blue Boo. Her dresses are amazing and inspiring. I love that she can take all of these pieces of old shirts and make them into a fabulous dress. I have always been a thrift store junky (about 80% of my clothing is from the thrift store) but I never thought much beyond that. Then I found Wardrobe Refashion.

Wardrobe Refashion is an amazing blog that showcases different peoples upcycled and handmade clothing items. Those who post on the site have taken the following pledge.

The Pledge
I __________________ pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 2 / 4 / 6 months. I pledge that i shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovoted, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftiness brings! Signed__________________.
There is also a lifetime commitment for the truly bold. I have spent days pouring over every post on the blog. I am so inspired by the things that others have made from an old t-shirt, sheet or thrifted material. It has entirely changed my weekly trips to the thrift store. Instead of looking for items to uses as they are I find myself thinking about what else I can make with them. i find myself looking at fabric rather than clothing items. The last time I hit the thrift store there was a big sale and all of the clothes were $1. I snatched up a bunch of XXL mens shirts for the fabric alone!

Perhaps all of this inspiration is going to my head but I am considering taking the Wardrobe Refashion pledge myself. I have no problem with abstaining from buying new clothing items because like I said I am a thrift store junky. The part that worries me is creating the new items to share. I am still a bit scared of my sewing machine but I am slowly getting use to it. I did have a great time making the Beachcomber Dress! I do realize it is a learning process and perhaps if I "had" to make things it would help. I have a few creative ideas about the clothes I would like to make but if I took the pledge I would need around 8 items to share on the blog. Of course if I took the pledge you would guaranteed at least one clothing tutorial a week from me for the next 2 months!

I am still trying to decide what to do. I am working on a plan and coming up with some things I would like to try and make. Has anyone else taken the pledge before?

Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails